Thursday, June 3, 2010

Its been a while...

Welp, we're back in town for the long haul. I've been getting back into the groove of things... babysitting, baking at Urban Standard, and assisting.

While we've been gone, the Lowers have been tending to our herbs and vegetables that we planted in their garden. Our basil and rosemary are just blooming away.



I've been trying to put our fresh herbs to good use this week! I'll share some of my favorite recipes...

Olive Oil Bread



2 3/4 c. warm water
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
6.5 c. unbleached flour

Mix water, yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Let them dissolve together until there's a foam on the top. Knead the flour into the mixture for a few minutes. The dough should come off the sides of the bowl. Knead with your hands for a bit. Coat a bowl with EVOO and let the bread rest for 1.5 to 2 hours. Then enjoy!

I use this bread as pizza dough, and use plenty of basil. Or cook as a loaf with rosemary, or garlic, or whatever else you want to add! Whether it's a pie or a loaf, you can bake it for about 30 minutes @ 350 degrees. It's truely the easiest, and most scrumptious bread I've ever made.


Rosemary and Cranberry Scones



I love the rosemary and cherry scones at Centrale. So I created my own version for home...

1/3 c. butter
1 3/4 c. flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
6 tbsp. milk
1/2 c. dried cranberries
couple tbsp. of rosemary

Cut the flour into the butter. Mix in sugar and salt. Then beat in the egg and milk. The dough should come off the sides of the bowl. Knead in (with your hands) cranberries and rosemary. Roll out the dough and cut into triangles (I fold over the triangles because I like them puffier). Bake for 10-12 minutes @ 400 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment